It’s Okay, Let Go

Ever have one of those days where you’re not feeling too good to start with; yet as the morning progresses things only get worse and worse. For starters I was stopped up (sinuses) all night, then had to stop by the convenience store and fill a slow leaking tire. If you know me or know my story, bending over to put air in a tire is no small feat. In fact it nearly caused me to pass out. Even at this moment my legs are shaking from the pressure. 

For a few weeks now I’ve been way more active then I have been for a while. Since the old heart situation it’s been stressed that I take my recovery easy. But my doctor last week did approve my walking and getting more active. So while I should have let one of my kids check the tire; being the man and the provider, it is my job after all to beat my chest and grunt. Well I ended up doing a little more panting then grunting and as far as beating my chest, it was doing just fine all by itself. 

My little nugget of wisdom here is this, just because the motto says, “Army of One”; it doesn’t mean you are alone. Even in the Army the word team is stressed. Most of my adult life others have depended on me to be the rock. What I hadn’t realized is this old stone has rounded corners and more than a few cracks then it use to. That means that it’s okay to let somethings go. It means you can turn things over to others and take it easy. 

At some point micro-managing will stress you to the brink. I don’t think leadership was created to monitor the amount of toilet tissue the office uses nor do I believe leadership was created so you can lord over your minions. Leaders are needed to lead which means, they encourage, teach, and administrate. I can’t stress enough how important it is delegate duties. How else are we going to teach those under us to lead one day themselves? 

At some point both professionally and personally, you’re going to need a hand. So don’t wait to the point where it’s too late to teach. Began now and acknowledge you can’t be everywhere, for everyone, at any time. Be a leader. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living