The Advantage

I’d like to say my life runs like a well-oiled machine. But in all honesty, a good bit of my day is spent running with my ass on fire. You’d think by now I’d matured enough to be a responsible adult. But I don’t think my problem have as much to do with my maturity issues as it does with everyone else’s. I’ll be the first one to tell you, I don’t handle pressure like I used to do. Ever since panic, anxiety, and depression walked through my door; I have to be real careful about how much pressure I put on myself. 

Telling you this may not bode well with fact I call myself a consultant. But it does allow me to see myself and the situations around me with a more realistic eye. Even as I suffer with bouts of anxiety, I can usually pull things together and complete tasks rather successfully. I feel the key to my rate of success is due to my ability to breakdown large or complicated job tasks. I noticed early on in my career that breaking tasks up into manageable sections lends the overall success of the project. But no one out there needs me to tell you that. If you worked on projects long enough you know shit’s going to happen and you learn to “improvise, adopt, and overcome” (Clint Eastwood-Heartbreak Ridge).   

There is no one right way to work a schedule. What works for me may not work for you. The thing is to know your limits. Despite what most self-help manuals tell you, “You can’t always be a winner”. Fact is you usually fail a hell of a lot more than you succeed. The big thing is do you get back up after you fall? 

Fortunately for me I have a big enough ego that still hates being wrong (Just ask my wife). I’m not sure how I still have it, but I’ll tell you what, it’s helped me clean up more than few screwed ups. The thing is plans are great and goals are great, but they are not you. Life is about living and creating happiness around us. So are you happy? Or are you just here? Admitting ones faults shouldn’t be a negative, instead knowing ones strengths and weaknesses is an advantage.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living