Can I Get An Amen!


Please note our Grandbaby has a smartphone
I try not to be one of those parents that don’t whine about how easy our kids have it now compared to me and their mother. Cause I’ll be honest I think the “kids” today have it worse than we did. I mean we did raise our crew during the late-80’s into the new millennium. Now your kids they had to go through college and find work during the Great Recession of all things. Besides I’ve seen my kids paychecks and being single ain’t as fun as it used to be.

With that said one of the things I’d like to caution my monkeys about is, getting sucked into depending too much on today’s social media. Of course I realize the first thing they would say is your one to talk Mr. Social Media. While may give them that one, the thing I’m stressing is not is much using social media as depending on it to replace human contact. I know I’ve mentioned this point on more than occasion, but honestly after the last few times hanging with friends and family, I wondered why I even showed up.

I understand how much time my kids spend working, especially with a baby to bring up. I want to be the good grandparent and take my free time and go visit our grandchild, instead of pressuring them to come see us. But here’s the trick, I don’t remember when my multitasking ability quit working. But I find it really, really hard talking over a 60” HGTV with surround sound, while the kids including our granddaughter staring at their smartphones.

I recall as a kid before nodding off during church hearing the preacher mentioning, “a time to be born, and a time to die…” (Ecclesiastes 3:2) (Take that Mom, told you I just was resting my eyes.) My humble request here is, when I show up, turn off the phone and at least turn the TV down, unless the Dogs are playing. We are losing our ability to talk face to face. As much as I love posting my silly little rants like this one to entertain people. Human touch is so important to the development of a child’s social interaction, let alone mine. All I ask is put down the phone and maybe give the idiot box a break. Can I get an amen!    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living