Better Days



Like most everyone else I can get a bit sentimental about certain things. For one I’m very sentimental about my music; even though I will listen to new artist every-now-and-again, I mostly stick to a set of tried and true performers. I suppose the same can be said for the books I read being of a specific genre, and the clothes I like to wear having to be loose and comfortable.   

So yeah, you can say I’m very sentimental when it comes to certain things. But I’d also say that in the past several years, a number of other things have changed. For one my political attitude has changed greatly. But upon closer examination I believe it’s the attitude of my former party ties that changed more so than I. Also when it comes to being sentimental I’m not one to dwell in the past.

While I do love reminiscing with old friends, my mind for the most part is geared toward the future. I would rather think of what I’m creating tomorrow than reliving a past victory. I’d rather think of the past as a learning moment, which for the most part doesn’t need to be repeated. For some of us the past causes us to relive too many defeats and too many failed moments. And while does can be teaching moments; for me they can cause too much second guessing and too much paralysis to take any current action.

The point I’m trying to draw out here is sentiment has an important place. It can solidify and anchor us to our true selves. But living our lives in the past doesn’t make us any happier; in fact I believe it can actually make us sadder. Because the moment we think our better days are behind us, than they are. Then that becomes the moment we cease to move forward and begin to decay.


So live in the moment.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze