Unpredictable

A couple of days ago I was putting together my NCAA Basketball Bracket on Yahoo Sports. (If you need a good chuckle checkout my sports prediction skills at Yahoo Sports under Ferman’s Clueless Bracket.) Within the first few hours of the tournament two upsets had blown my whole dream of making it to 32 without a loss. Honestly, this comes as no surprise because in the years I’ve played this annual ritual, I’ve never made it out of the first round without a loss. 

But that hasn’t stopped me from playing. Every year when the NCAA Tournament or College Football, the NFL, and even when the Bad News Braves start. I play the brackets, football pools, and watch the BNB’s till they break my tender, excited heart. What I’m getting at is these things bring us excitement. I mean there’s no way I’m ever going to win the Bracket Challenge. Nor does it seem I’ll live to see the Braves win another World Series (My apologies the faithful, but you know it). 

The thing is we need dreams to lift us from the mundane and predicable, that’s pretty much our lives. Without some excitement I feel we could become no more than cattle lined up for the slaughter house. So rather it’s through your faith in a better tomorrow or working hard toward a lifelong goal; we all should dream. 

But the title of this is Unpredictable and there’s a reason for that. While I may hope to create a perfect first round bracket; things change, emotions, and strategies out of our control come into play. But does that mean we not should try? Forgive my language but, many years ago one of the greatest pieces of advice in ever got goes like this, “Life is a shit sandwich, and you got to take a bite out of it every day.” 

It doesn’t roll off the tongue like Shakespeare, but it makes a good point. No matter how well-crafted we try and make our lives, the factor of unpredictability (shit) raises its ugly head. We never know when an unknown team is going to play its best game. Nor do we know with any uncertainty we’ll get up the next day. But should these inevitables keep us from dreaming? I don’t believe so. Go and dream.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze