Running on Empty

I’m certain the title to this really shows my age because I can remember when Running on Empty was first released. The album by Jackson Browne told of his adventures on the road and the exhaustion of it. (At least that what I got out of it) Anyway, the reason for bring this up is because at the moment, I’m feeling the same way.

Despite another rough night, I got up all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed ready to face the world. For one I got through several tasks that I had put off for lack of inspiration. And even caught up with some correspondence I let fall to the wayside. But then I stopped and grabbed lunch, which needless to say, dragged me down to a crawl. Why does this always seem to happen when you’re on a roll?

Thinking about this it has more to do with my overnight preparation than my early morning inspiration. One of the sad truths of being in your fifties is you’re not in your twenties and even thirties anymore. The days of working fourteens hours straight, hitting the bar at happy hour, and getting just a few hours’ sleep, is long gone. In order to continue playing the game we old folks have to be smarter; which means being better prepared.


I know that most of my preparation is still in the moment inspiration. But I’m teaching myself that just because I don’t feel the flow the first time. Doesn’t mean that whatever I’m doing can’t be picked up and tinkered with later. Even the things we love to do can be work, you can’t always go by feelings only. The point here is, Jackson Browne even though he was tired and ready to go, knew he could play, one more song. So quit abusing yourself for being tried and pace yourself for the miles ahead.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze