Listening

My Grandma Thornton was always a demure, quiet woman. She seem to be satisfied just being in the background. I remember at family dinners while everyone was sitting at the table, grandma would be moving around the table filling tea glasses. At every family dinner one or more of the family would ask her to please sit down and eat. But she would always reply with, “I ate while I was cooking, I’ll sit down later.”

But that’s the way she was, always waiting on others, always quiet. One day during a quiet moment I asked her why she always seemed so quiet. I mean the rest of us have no problem speaking our minds. But in her silent graceful way she simply looked up at me with her brilliant blue eyes and said, “you more from listening than by talking.”

Early on listening was a gift that I believe I inherited. Although I’m been known to be a bit of a smart-assed blow-heart, I’ve had my moments. I’m sure a number of my old friends would attest that I’m a good listener and secrets keeper. But I must admit I allowed myself to get away from being that way. So over the next several years I ended up just listening to myself and not the advice of a close group of friends.

It’s been a long slow road to get back into the habit of working with a network of friends. The benefit of listening and asking questions goes without saying. Grandma Thornton, as well as, Grandma Geiger were both great listeners. At times just the fact that they listened was all I needed to think through a situation.


I suppose that’s the point of this, looking back to remember that while talking has its place; listening is just as important, if not more important than talking. So allow yourself the pleasure of listening, you may be surprised at what you hear.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze