I May Love It, But It’s Still a Job

After running errands over the last few days, I finally have time to get back to my manuscript. You see for the last several years, a number of people I know have asked me, when are you going to write a book? Well for the past few months I’ve been putting together a collection of my thoughts and stories into book form. And with a little work and practice it will hopefully become a novel some out there will enjoy.

Right now my work will be self-published through a deal with a Digital Publisher. So while I sit here and form these thoughts into readable sentences, I am a one-man-band writing, editing, and arranging the book. Once I have the story where I want it, it then goes to the digital publisher for distribution where hopefully it will meet some degree of success.  

Now that I have out that little piece of self-promotion, given the opportunity to do the thing you love for a living is a dream of most people. All the time we hear stories of entrepreneurs whom worked out of their garages or kitchens to come up with the next big thing. But along with these individuals there are the stories of others who overcome all odds to do the work they dreamed of doing. For these people there is no need for an alarm clock, their passion and their joy is doing what they do.

Ever since going back to school, I’ve reawakened a passion within myself of writing and communicating. Very seldom are there moments where typing words across the screen are a chore for me. (Mind you, I said seldom.) But for all the pride and satisfaction I get from seeing others appreciate my work; the fact is it’s still a job. So many of us dream of doing something we love for a living. Instead we are stuck “collecting a paycheck” working long hours away from home doing a job “a monkey with a flashlight” could do. Is that anyway to live?

But to be able to make those dreams of come true we have to put in the effort and do the things necessary to make those dreams come true. Today I’m afforded a degree of freedom to pursue my passion. The thing to remember is that freedom brings nothing if not done with a little sweat. Doing something you love is all well and good, but if it doesn’t keep the lights turned on, you’ll just end up smiling in the dark.

Dreams are nothing without goals. If you have a desire to do something more than great, but nothing worthwhile is ever easy. You got to put your back into it. No great piece of music was ever written without first learning to play. Nor will a poem touch anyone so deep, unless the writer’s heart is in it. So pursue your dreams with passion and work them like a job.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze