Safe Harbor

Cockspur Island Lighthouse - www.nps.gov
It’s amazing really, how much a friendship can get you through the day. I recall going through my teens and twenties depending and being depended on my friends just to get through the day. While sadly today, I have less friends then the number of fingers on my hand. Just the spirit of those past friendships has been enough to carry me through the gates of hell. 

For a long time I had abandoned most of the friendships of my past. Not so much out of conflict, but the fact that time can pull people apart. Leaving you to fill that void with other relationships over time. One of my problems stems from the fact that I didn’t take the time to create new connections. For the most part I allowed causal relationships fill the void only true friendships could replace.

I believe within me this created a vacuum that only got bigger and bigger. That as the months and years went on left me without a safe harbor to call home during the storms. Needless to say, that metaphor led to the damage I still deal with today. A damaged hull and no clear compass to guide the way. But the ship is salvageable and every day I try and improve the man I am. 

I suppose the lesson we can teach each other here is, no one can be a lone wolf for long. And no one was meant to bare their shame alone. The point here is to be receptive to genuine calls of sympathy and understanding. That not everyone is out to get you and not everyone’s motive is selfish. While my limited number of friends is due more to my own choices, than others. It doesn’t mean the very small group of friends I have are not very precious and cherished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze